Doubling light output = Increasing wattage??

I am just about to purchase a new 70 gallon tank which has a full hood which
allows for only two 40 watt fluorescent lights.  Since ideally one should
have 2 to 4 watts per gallon I was wondering if by using reflectors which
state that they double the LIGHT output this would have a similar effect as
to increasing the stated wattage.

Can somebody tell me if this makes sense?  What do other people do when the
aquarium hood can only take a maximum of two fluorescent tubes and the total
wattage is below the required 2 watt value for good plant growth??

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Steve