Re: Ivo's Anti-Scum Surface Skimmer (long)

> [How does your setup deal with the surface agetation CO2 loss problem?
> >From your post, it was'nt clear whether or not you run CO2.]

Surface agitation is almost nill. Water flows into the device very gently
and the tank CO2 level is quite good: ph is 6.6 to 6.8 (7.4 with no CO2),
kH is around 5.

> [Do you run your setup only at night or 24-7?]
It runs continuously.

> [Please tell us more.]

Here is the theory:

The trick in surface skimming is to suck up the surface film and keep it
inside the skimming mechanism. Surface film can easily move outward even
when the main water flow goes inward. I figure there are two ways of
achieveing the desired result. The standard way used by overflow boxes
actually spills the water to mechanically break the surface film and keep
the scum inside the box. This is of course not desirable if we need to
keep CO2 from leaving solution. It also only works with gravity-fed sump
systems, not with canister filters in an airless syphon loop. The other
way is to use a gentle water flow from a higher level in the tank to a
lower level into the skimming box but with a level difference that is
sufficient to prevent the film from migrating backwards into the tank. Under
the particular parameters of my setup this level difference is about one
inch. One of my former versions of the skimmer had a difference in level
of about 1/2" and I could see water being drawn into the skimmer at a rather
high flow rate but the surface film itself swirling in and out at the skimmer
input. At the same time we must prevent the water level difference in
getting too large since them air may enter the filter's intake syphon and
break it. This can happen if the skimmer input gets clogged, or if the
water level in the tank drops too much. This control can be achieved by
an underwater weight-regulated valve, similar to the valve in a pressure
cooker. This is by the way the mechanism I figuerd is used by the Eheim
surface extractor.

Here is the implementation:

The device was built from a large gravel vac mounted upside down and
secured to the back glass wall by two suction cups. The canister filter
intake with strainer and all goes into the vac's mouth. At the bottom end
of the vac I removed the hose, enlarged and reshaped the hole with drill
tools and glued a nylon nut of proper size and shape to act as the valve
rest, a small piece of plastic tube to protect the valve and a strainer at
the bottom end. The valve was built from a beveled faucet stopper with a
stainless steel screw hanging under it and with stainless steel nuts screwed
on it until it gets the proper weigth. By choosing the correct weight the
valve sets the minimum internal water level to the desired safe height. The
device must be carefully adjusted in height inside the tank until water flows
from the tank level to a lower level in the vac's tube. Too little weight in
the valve and it will be always open, not letting the water level inside the
skimmer to drop. Too much weight and the water level will drop too much,
allowing air to enter the filter intake.

As you can see the device needs a few adjustments to the particular setup
where it will be used. It also depends rather critically on the tank water
level. My tank is well covered and keeps its level almost constant for
several days, so the skimmer needs almost no adjustment. If I notice that
it stopped skimming and all water is flowing in thru the valve, I just top
off the tank until the skimming action restarts and the valve patially
shuts off.

I attempted to draw an "ASCII picture" of the device; hope it helps in
understanding its principles.

               |  |
               |  |  <---  fluval intake with strainer
               |  |
  ........     |  |      ..........      <--- water level at tank
         |     |  |      |
         |     |  |      |
         |     |  |      |
         \.....|  |....../  <---  water level inside skimmer
          \    |  |     /
           |   |  |     |
           |   |  |     |
           |   |  |     |    <---  gravel vac body
           |  \    /    |
           |   \  /     |
           |    --      |
           |            |
           |   _______  |
           |   \_____/  |   <---  valve (in floating, open position)
           |      T     |
           ----\  |  /---   <--- gravel vac end cap with valve rest
               |  | |
               |    |       <--- tube (cut from an old UGF riser)
               |    |
               \    /
                \  /     <--- strainer
                 --

The main drawback of this design is that all surface debris go directly
into the filter's intake strainer and quickly clog it. To clean it I must

-Ivo Busko
 Baltimore, MD