Fluorite and algae

Hi,

The algae problem in my 55 gal tank seems to have worsened ever since I
converted the substrate to 50% Seachem Fluorite. I'm not sure exactly what
kind of algae it is -- the back of the tank is covered with what seems to be
green algae, but the leaves of my plants are covered with a combination of
dust (from the Fluorite, I believe) and fuzzy brownish algae.

I had an algae problem to begin with (too many fish and too much leftover
food resulting in nitrates of ­50 mg/l) but it seems to have become worse
with the Fluorite. Is this possible?

Thanks.