Re: Came close to an SAE today

Kelley Beard writes:

> He assurred me they wouldn't
>  make it because they didn't have pure O2 to pump in the bags.

If you pump pure O2 into a bag before shipping, the O2 will escape the bag
anyway, because the bags we use for fish are selectively permeable to O2 and
CO2.  This shopkeeper, while sincere and concerned enough to pass up a sale,
is not properly informed.  I have kept fish for up to a week in bags without
a problem at this time of year.  It only becomes a concern when temperatures
rise up past about 85F, as the O2 levels then begin to drop due to lower
solubility.

Bob Dixon