Re: [none] (actually yeast CO2)

>Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 09:48:35 -0400
>From: "Joe F." <jaf3 at earthlink_net>
>Subject: [none]

>	I just made a DIY CO2 generator out of a 2L bottle.  The mixture im using
>is 2 cups of sugar dissolved in 2 cups of hot water, 1tsp of baking soda
>dissolved in 2 cups of cold water, and 2 tsp yeast on top.  I was wondering
>what the best method is to get the co2 to dissolve?  I have it going
>through a powerhead and it chopps the bubbles up pretty good and forces
>them down... is this sufficient?  And how will i know if i am entering a
>toxic amount of co2 into the tank?  When should I start seeing results?

Joe,

You are probably using too much yeast.  Use about 1/2 a teaspoon.  And mix the
yeast well (I hope you're not following that net.nonsense about not mixing the
yeast, started by a guy who quoted his bread machine's delayed baking
instruction,
without knowing why they said not to mix the yeast).

If you still have CO2 bubble rising to the surface, then obviously your
method of
dissolving the CO2 is not totally efficient.  See the yeast-CO2 page on my
web site
for some ideas.  A good way to know if you're adding a toxic amount of CO2
into the
tank is to monitor your pH level.  If it's in an okay range, you're
probably okay.

You should start to see results in the form of happy, bubbly plants in
about a day,
if you have enough light.

Hoa

Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/