Aluminum wire as a ground strap

Hi all, I am currently setting up a tank and want to dangle a ground strap
into the water. As I like to go the inexpensive route every time, the
commercial tank grounds which are available are out of the question. Copper
wire is probably a bad idea. What about aluminum wire? Does anybody know
how aluminum wire would react to the aquarium environment? Will anything
toxic to the fish or plants be produced? I am using tap water which
normally has a ph of 7.

Thanks in advance, Doug