Gas prob.s, and ridding tap of toxic sanitizers

In a message dated 4/15/99 1:02:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

<<
 > I would wait 24 hours
 > if you fill the tank directly from the tap, particularly in the winter.
 > The reason for this is that tap water, particularly in the winter is high
 > in various dissolved gasses. (you see them collect as bubbles on the
 inside
 > of the tank glass as you fill the tank) These can be very hard on the
 fish.

 Really?  A while ago, someone told me it would help remove
 chlorine/chloramine if I deliberately stirred up bubbles when I do a water
 change.  So I've made a practice of it... does this create a problem for the
 fish, or is it not a problem for just a 20% water change or so? >>

Hmmm, well, KR is right in cautioning folks re the dangers of gas
super-saturation during cooler months (and the very real possibility of
emphysematosis: "gas bubble disease" that can come from not-outgassing new
water...), and a comment re the chlorine/chloramine dissipation. The former
sanitizer (just chlorine) does "escape to the air" by mechanical aeration,
but not chloramines (appreciably). The modern tap water sanitizer
(chloramine) must need be aerated a good week compared to a day or so for the
"good old days" of simple chlorine... best to let the water age in a
dedicated container for those seven days, okay to treat with a
dechloraminator... and only so-so a good idea to risk semi-poisoning your
livestock with even "just" a twenty percent water change (IMO of course).
Bob Fenner