Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #963

> Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 08:56:56 +0100
> From: "Richard Rajski" <Richard at rajski_freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Cyperus helferi
>
> Does anyone on the list have any experience of growing Cyperus helferi ?
> I've not been able to find much info on it and some of it is contradictory.
> In the Tropica Catalogue (very useful book, great illustrations and photos)
> it describes it as a difficult plant, while on the Tropica website it is
> described as an easy plant !
> Also, can it be propagated easily ? All help gratefully recieved.
>
> Richard Rajski, UK.

Hi Richard,
Cyperus Helferi is easy :-) Mine doesn't even grow on fertilised bed, just
plain gravel. Lately though, I've noticed that it does much, much better at
lower temps of between 25-27 degrees. When my tank was running between 29-33
degrees, it didn't do so well, growing slowly and very dark green. Now with
lower temps, it grows briskly, with leaves taking on a very fresh,
light-green hue. The leaves are also wider. I don't think light is an
important factor either, as it grows better now even though I've reduced
lighting from 6x40W to just 4 x 40Ws.

As for propagation, simply remove any plantlets that grow by the side of the
mother plant. You can identify the plantlets as they seem to grow like
another rosette. Or, just uproot the plant and split the rosette.

Cheers,
Mark Pan