I may have stumbled onto something...

I have a small outbreak of thread algae.  I've been studying each plant
to see what plants were most affected by thread algae.  I've noticed
that Barclaya Longifolia is almost completely absent of any noticeable
growth of thread algae.  If you squint hard, you can see a few threads,
but you have to look hard.  Old leaves, new leaves, it doesn't matter.
I wonder what characteristic prevents this plant from being overtaken?
Where some plants like Lugwigia repens are covered at the tops, Barclaya
is clean as a whistle.  I had the idea of taking some leaves from
Barclaya, drying and crushing them, then brewing them through a coffee
machine and pouring the contents into a tank (sans fish of course) that
was infected with thread algae, and observing the outcome.  What do you
think?  If it works out, I could bottle this stuff as an "All-natural
algae suppressant".

Here's a couple more observations:
1.  Thread algae definitely does not grow in the shade.  Only the tops
of stem plants and plants with exposed leaves like Aponegetons and Java
Fern are affected.  This makes me think that covering the tank and
leaving the lights off for a while will help - although I can barely
stand the thought of shrouding my babies in complete darkness for a
while.

2. Thread algae does not grow in areas of strong current.  I have a HOB
UV unit that pours water out.  Thread algae does not grow in that
current.  Nor does it grow in the area where the spraybar flows.
Neither on the glass or on the gravel.  Makes me think that having a
wave maker in a planted tank might be on some benefit - but I'm not
going that route.  I'm going to bottle the Barclaya extract instead.
:-)

Maybe this is one for The Krib!

Let's have some feedback on this one.