Re: VHO Ballast, normal Bulbs

> Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 16:57:26 PDT
> From: "Colin Anderson" <colin_d_anderson at hotmail_com>
> Subject: VHO Ballast, normal Bulbs
>
> Hi Everyone:
>
> Last weekend I was thumbing through a recent version of FAMA(forget
> which one) and read an article on lighting.  The author had spoken
> with all the major electronic VHO ballast manufacturers, all but
> IceCap denied that the following would work.
>
> What he tried was running standard bulbs on the VHO ballasts, there
> was a short, vague explanation as why this would work, I didn't pay
> all that much attention.  The article was also a little void of hard
> details.
>
> The conclusion was that the normal bulb was an economical choice over
> the VHO bulb when ran on a VHO Ballast.  Light output was just
> slightly lower than that of a VHO bulb!
>
> I realize that there may be some safety concerns while doing this, or
> maybe not, I really don't know.  But I'm curious if anyone on the
> list has tried this.
>
> Colin Anderson

I have a combination of VHO and regular bulbs on one Icecap ballast.
There are no safety concerns with the mixing of bulbs.  The ballast is
designed to work with any combination.  Actually, VHO bulbs are somewhat
brighter than the regular bulbs but probably not worth the extra
expense, unless you have a very deep tank.

Bob