Nitrates and Crypt Melt

Hi,

I just received my monthly aquarium club journal, in it is an article
which proposes a cause for crypt melt.

Has anyone ever attributed Crypt melt to nitrate intake?  The
author's proposition was that when Crypts take in nitrate they rot
from the inside out.  He didn't call it crypt melt, but it seemed a
natural to me.

He also argued that ammonium was a much preferred food source over
nitrate for plants, any opinions on this?

Sorry if I've missed this is a discussion before.

Colin Anderson

PS Has anyone received an AGA pub. lately?