VHO Ballast, normal Bulbs

Hi Everyone:

Last weekend I was thumbing through a recent version of FAMA(forget
which one) and read an article on lighting.  The author had spoken
with all the major electronic VHO ballast manufacturers, all but
IceCap denied that the following would work.

What he tried was running standard bulbs on the VHO ballasts, there
was a short, vague explanation as why this would work, I didn't pay
all that much attention.  The article was also a little void of hard
details.

The conclusion was that the normal bulb was an economical choice over
the VHO bulb when ran on a VHO Ballast.  Light output was just
slightly lower than that of a VHO bulb!

I realize that there may be some safety concerns while doing this, or
maybe not, I really don't know.  But I'm curious if anyone on the
list has tried this.

Colin Anderson

PS Has anyone received an AGA pub lately?