Subject: RE: Lilaeopsis mower???

Scott Hudson is experiencing problems with his Lilaeopsis - it seems that
some of his fish might be disturbing the plants.

>My prime suspect is the Zebra loach he
>spends the most time at the scene of the crime.
>Other suspects
>Trio of flag fish
>2 black and 1 striped khuli loaches
>Malaysian  trumpet snails
>pond and false rams horn snails(the reason I got the Zebra loach to begin
with)
>6 small characins (They may have the motive, revenge. I have had to release
>few of them after they got caught by my Aponogeton madagascarien.)
>5 Amano shrimp
>4 or 5 white clouds
>2 pearl gouramis

My money is on the Flag Fish. I had a trio and planted some Rotala, which
grew very well for about a week. I noticed that the new growth on the plants
was shredded and only the veins were left. I kept an eye on all the fish in
the tank but never saw any going near the plants. One night after the lights
had been off a couple of hours I peered into the tank and the Flag fish were
going to town on the new growth. They would swallow the whole leaf and back
up stripping the soft, fleshy part of the leaves leaving the veins and
stems! They now reside in a tank of H. Dif. , Java Fern, and various Crypts
with no leaf munching at all.
HTH,
Bob Buettner
In Northwest CT