Short Vals

Back around Christmas time, I purchased two Vals from Petsmart.  They were
both pretty small and only had two blades/leaves each.  Well now that I have
finally gotten my main plant tank going strong (ie: having to trim back to
swords, Cambomba, and H. polysperma every five days) I expected my vals to
start growing nice and tall...  Instead of growing tall, they are
propogating like mad, but are keeping relativly short leaves (3-6 inches).
One of the plants has developed two spiral leaves about 5" long (the longest
leaves on this plant) and a bunch of shorter, non-spiraled leaves.  The
other plant has two 6" leaves and then about 20-30 smaller leaves.  Does any
one know why my vals are growing out instead of up?  My tanks stats are:
-29 gallon
-2" of peat/sand covered by 1-2" of play sand as a substrate
-120 Watts of flouresent lighting (combination of Chroma 50s and
plant/aquarium bulbs) on for 12 hours a day
-DIY CO2 injection into a power head situated 3" above the substrate
-Water is 14ppm GH out of the tap, and then Dolometic Limestone and Baking
soda are added to bring the GH and KH up to around 100ppm

Thanks, Daniel
---
Daniel Boyer <dpboyer at axs2k_net>
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/1444