RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #951

> From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
> Subject: re:  need help identifying deficiency
>
> Over the weekend, Jon Wilson asked what deficiency might
> cause his anubias
> to develop little whitish yellow spots that eventually turn
> into holes.

> I think the whole complex of symptoms indicated a shortage of calcium,
> magnesium and potassium.  In your case I think the spots on the leaves
> could indicate a deficiency in potassium and/or magnesium.

(ripped from water company web site)

Hardness, Total mg/L 7.71
Hardness as CaCO3 mg/L  5.34
Sodium mg/L 0.003
Calcium mg/L 0.002
Magnesium mg/L 0.575

Due to the utter lack of Calcium and Magnesium in my water, I supplement it
with CaCO3 and MgSO4 to raise it to 80 mg/L of CaCO3 and 20 mg/L of MgSO4.

I am assuming that isn't enough sodium to matter? I don't use Sodium Bicarb
(which is a shame, I bought a very pricey pound of it from Hach)

My thoughts are that either:
1. I don't have the water hard enough yet.
2. I need to add Potassium Nitrate (Nitrate at 1-2 mg/L currently)

I guess I am looking for some obvious error before I start adding Nitrates.
Is there a form of Potassium other than KNO3 that I am overlooking?

Jon Wilson