Spiranthes odorata

I don't remember if I posted this previously. (My apologies if I did):
--------------------------
James:
As per Kasselmann (Aquarienpflanzen, Ulmer 1995):

Family: Orchidaceae
Synonyms: ... Spiranthes cernua  var. odorata

Etymology: Spiranthes = twisted flowerhead, speira=twist, anthos=flower;
odorata=well smelling

Rosette with 4-6 leaves. Leaves ... 10-30 cm long, 1.5-3 cm wide. Leaves
fleshy, soft, average green (ie. not light green nor dark green), shiny.
(description of flowers omitted)

Cultivation: A slow growing, adaptable orchid, which can live permanently
underwater. Use a coarse substrate for the thick roots. Its light
requirements are low. Optimal temperature 22-26 deg C. Hardness and pH
values are of little importance for healthy growth. Even underwater, the
little rosette will not develop more than 6 leaves, so that a number of
plants are needed for a decorative planting. S. odorata is highly
recommended for the emerse culture on a window sill, in a paludarium, or in
a greenhouse. The large flower stalk will become a wonderful sight! Potting
soil, for example, is suitable as a  substrate but must be kept wet,
however, hydroculture is also possible . The plants often react to
transplanting into different environments (humidity, light) by losing their
leaves. If the plants can grow undisturbed, flower stalks are developed
regularily, even in the aquarium. But only in ... an open tank can the
flowerhead develop properly. At the time of flowering, up to eight
adventious plantlets are grown on the root tips. These can be cut off once
they reach a size of 5 cm.  They will develop in the aquarium as well, even
if there is no flower development. Therefore, never cut the roots! Rarely,
plantlets can also be found on the flower stalk. After flowering, the mother
plant dies. Raising the tiny seeds artificially is unknown in the aquarium
hobby.

Ecology: S. odorata lives in bogs, swamps, permanent waters, but also can be
found in flowing fresh or brackish waters in the tidal zone. It grows in the
deepest shade as well as the brightest sunshine in a substrate of clay,
peat, mud, and sand.

Others: Cultivated plants (in Europe) are odorless. S.odorata has long been
imported under the name S. cernua.

Michael Eckardt, AGA