RO water and hair algae

	>I understand that algae thrives on phosphates and nitrates, which
are
	>very low.  So why is it doing so well?

	Peter,
	I recently had a similar problem. Using RO water, nitrates and
phosphates
	extremely low. I read an article recently in the AFM magazine which
	discussed a concept that "some BBA" (hair) algae can receive their
	nutrients from lower light levels and spectrums. I therefor enclosed
my
	tank in complete darkness for 48 hours. The hair algae was 80%
removed.
	I waited two day and shut it down again for 48 hours. There was no
	evidence of the hair algae. This was 3 weeks ago and it has not
returned.
	Give this a try. Luckily for me, I caught this in the early stages.

	Dave.