Re: yeast additives

Chris Wells asked:
> Lastly - they had some additives that helped the yeast grow in wine
> making.
> Is there anything besides sugar and champagne yeast that will make the
> DIY last longer?

I am trying out malt extract.  I believe brew places carry this.  We
use this substance in the micro lab where I work, when we grow
yeast cultures in vitro.  I don't know, though, if it will make the
yeast last longer or only grow more quickly.  Maybe a little of each.
In the DIY CO2 setup, I've just started the first batch with malt
extract a week ago, so can't give a report, except that it is bubbling
far more than any other culture I've started before.

Cathy Hartland