Re:Algea or Jr. Java Moss

Drake wrote:
>>become aware of a tough, olive green, hair like plant growing (and
choking) his Liliopis.<<

Drake, you're not alone. I have a huge patch of Java moss that I've
watched the same thing happen to. For six months, it was the
greenest, lushest looking plant, and it still is, kinda. But the same
crap started growing in it ~1 month ago. And growing is an
understatement, it's more like multiplying!! I've monitored certain
strands over a day or two period, and it is incredible how fast that
stuff grows. It gets all intertwined in the moss, gets tangled around
my stem plants, and, hell, there's even a couple of half inch strands
growing on one of my snails! It forms a base sometimes on individual
moss stands that many "vericose veins" (that's what it resembles
sometimes because of the brachiations) grow out from. I have to
remove the strand to get rid of it, it won't tear loose. I sat with a
pair of long hemostats the other night and picked and pulled half a
handful of that "vein algae" out. Most of the time it grows without
attaching to anything, so it pulls right out, with some careful
coaxing. What's the name of this stuff? Anyone? I at least want to
know what I'm cussing at!! My four Otos and single SAE don't seem to
touch it. They graze right over it. Weird.

Thanks,
Jamie
Jamie Johnson         "Keep your eyes on the stars
Chemist-Trace Metals   and your feet on the ground"
Davis & Floyd, Inc.            -Theodore Roosevelt
jjohnson at davisfloyd_com
(864)229-4413 work
(864)229-7119