Vals not growing well on one side of tank

I've got one idea for this problem.  In my 33 gallon I've got Vals
growing like mad.  No substrate fertilizer, very little fertilizer at
all, 100 watts t8 and an unplugged undergravel filter.

They won't multiply as fast if I don't plant them close together.  When
I want them to multiply I take all the runners and the parent plant and
replant them together.  It takes a week or two and then all at once they
begin to send out strong, fast growing runners.

I had a slightly different case of the Val unpredictability, they grew
for a year in a tank, and then one day decided to stop.  No change in
stocking or anything, they got something through the water system they
didn't like and that was the end of it in that tank.

Hope this is of some help,

Colin Anderson