Re: lighting small tanks, watts per gallon rule?

One of the things that really bugs me is spectral charts for individual lamps.
They never have any meaningful units so you cannot use them to compare one lamp
against another. If manufacturers would simply publish charts plotting watts or
lumens or einsteins/m2 versus frequency one could easily determine what lamp
produces the most PAR. Then we could have a formula of PAR/gallon. I can't even
get meaningful information on lamps that are specifically designed for aquarium
use.