Re: lighting small tanks, watts per gallon rule?

Elvis writes:

> The watts per gallon rule translates very nicely into watts per square
>  foot and this turns out to be a much more accurate guideline. 2-4 wpg is
>  thus equivalent to 20-40 watts per square foot of tank area.

But with the high variablity in lumens per watt these days, that still doesn't
really tell us anything.  I've tried to start a thread that deals effectively
with this particular issue, but the responses I have gotten have been vague at
best.  Can somebody define this rule-of-thumb in lumens per gallon or  per
sqquare foot?  Yes, PAR would be eeven more effective still, but that is hard
to detirmine based on the available info for the different types of bulbs.

Bob Dixon