Re: play sand ok for tanks?

My experience with play sand was not good, but there may have been other
factors at work.  I tried play sand over kitty litter and had a huge mess
within days.  The plants all died a quick death, cyano bacteria took over,
the kitty litter produced foul gases.....reminded me of some of the science
experiments in my refrigerator.  The 2-3 mm silica sand has a widespread
proven track record and is what I am using now with good success.  It is
sold here as filter media for swimming pool filters.  Then bite the bullet
and buy some laterite, you can't fail.  (Well, you can, but it won't be
because of the substrate.)

Tom
Austin, Texas where it finally rained.