[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

No subject was specified.

Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:56:36 -0600
>From: "Wood, Tom" <Tom.Wood at ci_austin.tx.us>
>Subject: Re: Lights Out! Die algae die!

>Just to report the results of the attempt to cure a green water algae
>I turned out the lights Wednesday afternoon and turned them back on for
>full Sunday photoperiod, so they were out 3 1/2 days.  The green water
>completely cleared and most other forms of algae are severely
>The plants and fish are all fine.  I did several water changes during
>time the lights were out to dilute the nutrient overload that started


I have had 2 algae blooms in the past year, one was a random occurance
of bad luck, the second was indiced by proper ph a product that contains
phosphoric acid.  In the first instance I just waited it out and used my
vortex to filter out the algae once or twice a week for about a month.
In the second case the bloom was to concentrated for diatom filtration.
I had used a pound of diatiom powder and had only achieved an inch of
visibility into the 18 inch deep tank.   In order to remedy the problem
I used a phosphate absorbing reisin. Within 5 days the tank was crystal
clear.  I didn't even have to use the diatom filter.   While the second
case was an extreme condition, I think that if there is enough of any
food source present it will be exploirted to it's fullest potential.  If
you use the phospahte absorbing reisins you should be able to eliminate
the problem with minimal grief, time, and water changes.

Good Luck,
Adam Weingarten
JavaBlue at concentric_net