Re: Iron, chelates, and pathways

>    1) starts out as a chelate ( FeEDTA, FeDTPA,
>         FeEDDHA, etc. )
>    2)  becomes unbounded as Fe++
>    3)  precipitates as a result of combining with
>         orthophosphate or being reduced to Fe+++
>

> Comments?

I would just point out that when the iron becomes unbound from these
particular chelates it is in Fe+3, not Fe+2.

Even though one can draw a correct chemical structure using Fe+2 and
these chelates, that (unfortunately) doesn't mean that that structure
can actually form. All commercially available FeEDTA or FeDTPA cleary
state that they are in the Fe+3 form (ethylenediaminetetracetic acid,
iron(III) sodium salt hydrate... diethylenetriaminepentacetic aicd,
iron(III) disodium salt dihydrate).

It has been my experience that when something is not commercially
available (or is, but is only at a very high cost) there is usually a
very good reason: it can't be made or only can be made through an
extreme level of effort.

-Greg Morin

Gregory Morin, Ph.D.  ~~~~~~~Research Director~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seachem Laboratories, Inc.      www.seachem.com     888-SEACHEM