Floating mystery: E. Media

Hello everyone,
        I was curious if anyone has ever grown this plant.  I "borrowed" this
plant from someone that works in my dad's building (he's a plant biologist).
It's a medium sized floating plant, its leaves are (ooh, what a surprise) green,
but they turn white if they're nutrient deprived, it produces offspring with
runner-like things, its leaves are somewhat like those of salvinia, except
larger.  It does not grow as much laterally, but mostly vertically.  It's a very
nice plant, if anyone could tell me anything about its preferences, origin, etc.,
I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Emery

P.S.
Sorry I couldn't provide you with any more info!