SAEs and dimorphism

Among a group of mature SAEs in my 180 gallon aquarium, I've
noticed three which are smaller (4" as opposed to 5"). On these
the black lime is less distinct, above it is slightly darker,
and the lower edge of the dorsal fin where it meets the back
is reddish as opposed to yellowish on the other SAEs. The smaller
fish are the ones which square off from time to time. I think
these are the males. The difference is subtle, but it is there.

Comments?

--
Dave Whittaker
Gloucester, Ontario