Re: pH concerns

In a message dated 3/3/1999 2:55:06 PM Central Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

> Duplasystem
>  has a computerized feedback which controls CO2 flow, and provides it
>  asneeded.
>  I'm willing to do some more sophisticated setup than the soda
>  bottle/champagne yeast system (hence, will go back to the archives),
>  but my
>  concern regards to the pH at night when the DIY keeps bubbling CO2

I have used the yeast formula for several years.  In a 29 gallon tank the
most I got was . 2 change in pH during the day time and less than a .2 pH
difference between day and night.

I just recently started experimenting with bottled CO2.  So far after about
three weeks my experience was a slow gradual decline in pH over the
first 2 weeks where it settled at about .6 below what it was originally on a
55 gallon tank.  The day to night fluctuation again in around 0.2pH.

Perhaps when the tank starts filling out much heavier with plants the fluction
will increase.  The more plants the more CO2 will be released by them at
night,
Perhaps than I'll try either putting an air pump on a night timer or a valve
turn off the CO2 at night.

Dennis