Re:Substrates and Profile

Dave Gromberg states he has had good luck with Profile/Turface in pots with
Jobs/Fern sticks.  I too have had excellent success using profile in the
bottom 1/2 of a 30g set up over two years ago and a 10g in my office.  The
profile seems very stable, extensive roots on crypts, swords and stem
plants, no real signs or compaction or major anerobisity (I make up words as
I go), accumulation of sulfide gases etc.. or  that it is exhausted in
anyway.  I do sometime uproot/vacuum an on occasion and I have basically
"Roto-Tilled" the whole tank and replanted once.  I add DIY clay balls from
time to time and the Jobs Ferns stick under heavy root feeders every 4-6
months.  I also think,  to Profile's credit,  that it helps provide a better
rooting medium than gravel/sand alone. Anything I put in this tank grows
well given a spot with good light.

To give you an example:  after receiving a two-inch-square mat of
glossostigma elantinoides from a friend, I cleared a section 5" square by
3/4-1" deep of the existing gravel and added  a mixture of Profile and
smaller 1-2mm gravel, mixing lots of the existing mulm into this section as
a bedding for glossostigma.

After repeatedly  pushing the glossostigma down into the Profile-bed and
taking some of the fine gravel and covering it then knocking the gravel off
the top layer of glossistigma leaves, over a month or two, I have finally
got it to take root, stay in place (not floating up) and with some
horizontal growth. Taking  into consideration that 2 Corys and two 4" Discus
are working against me not to mention the little earth-moving MTSs.... I am
amazed it's rooted finally.

No hair nets, no tying it to rocks or driftwood or sticking U-shaped paper
clips in the gravel (not that these methods don't work), just persistence
and patience.  I think the 80W of Chroma50 and Tritons help and I can't
accredit this entirely to the Profile but I think it does help fine-rooted
plants such as glossostigma.  Maybe it's reportedly good CEC retains and
makes available cations that would otherwise not be so available using
regular gravel.  I am happy with Profile and will use it again.    YMWV.

Peace & Cheers!
Tom Brennan
brennans aaaaattttttt  ix ddddoooottttt netcom dddddooootttt com

(opps.....er...a...eh .... I mean......This is Wink Dinkerman signing off
from the basement of the computer science building at OSU, with my 44Magnum,
clamors, razor wire, Doberman attack dogs and various electronic monitoring
devices to keep the human race away.....sorry I gave at the office...take me
off your list.....this is a none  listed number.... no forwarding
address.....KEEP OUT......hey are you looking at me....the end is
coming......to the bomb shelter.....paranoid attack.....oh my god!)