Re: Tiger Lotus

Michael D Nielsen <mnielsen at U_Arizona.EDU>

>boukmn wrote about great success with these guys.
>
>Mine always do the bolt for the surface no matter how much I trim them
>back.  They have also infested about 1/2 of my 90 gallon tank.  I got them
>because I wanted a red plant with nice leaves like the pictures.
>
>The tank has no CO2 and 330 watts light in standard 90 gallon tank
>(48X18X24 tall).  Is this to little light to get the none lily pad leaves?
>I really like the plant and it has spread like crazy, but it takes only a
>few days to recover most of the tank surface after a complete pruning of
>every single leaf.
>
>Any suggestions appreciated, espically from boukmn.

No suggestions Mike, but isn't the the tiger lotus actually
Numphaea zenkeri as opposed to Numphaea lotus? Many years ago
I grew a lotus in an aquarium which Windelov identifies in his
1987 catalogue as Numphaea pubescens. It was very attractive,
but I have not encountered it since.

Re: Handles

I have no problem with handles although I think a first name
is courteous. For plant and material exchanges a city or county
is sensible. Everyone on this list should include it.

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca