Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 08:21:13 -0800
From: Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com>
Subject: Re: Disinfecting

> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:46:46 EST
> From: Dennis8425 at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Disinfecting
>

> The alcohol idea never crossed my mind as far as dissenting a tank is
> concerned.  However I think I can comment here safely that either type
> of alcohol should be equally as effective.  The alcohol will evaporate fairly
> fast and not leave any residue.

Sorry to disagree, Dennis, but not true. Industrial isopropanol
(alcohol) would be OK (technical grade or better), but both rubbing and
denatured ethanol can leave residues you don't want in a tank. In
particular, many rubbing alcohols have lanolin-based oils in them to
minimize skin drying! Those do *not* evaporate.

The denaturing agents in ethanol may vary widely, IDK. I found it
useless in the photo lab, for the stuff *did* mess up hologram plates,
frequently. Therefore, I wouldn't use it in an aquarium.

Bleach is cheaper and easier (if you protect your skin) so I use it even
with a 5G jug of Propanol-2 sitting out in the shed. It also
disintegrates proteins for a more certain disinfection that either kind
of alcohol.

Wright