lead plant weights alternatives ?

I am using the lead-with-foam-rubber-strips which the petshops use to bundle
and keep the Lysimachia nummularia in my koi tank down. I asked the petshop if
the lead would give any trouble but they said they also used it without
problems and  there was no real alternative anyway. After reading Wright
Huntley's reply (#873) I wonder if anyone knows of a better alternative.
Leaving the bottom leaves on the stem is an excellent idea, just not in this
case with the kois pulling it out...

And while I'm at it. Does anyone has tips for plants to keep in a koi tank ?
Temperature is between 19°C (±68°F) and 23°C (±73°F).
Would Potamogeton lucens be hardy enough if I'm ever able to get it ?

Best regards,

Hugo Hoekstra