bristle nose plecos

I have a bunch of bristle nose plecos and am wondering how to sex
them.  I notice that some have white tips at the corners of their caudal
fins, is this some sort of sexual dimorphism?
  By the way, the males (assuming I have any out of ten fish) haven't
got their bristles yet.  Most have tiny beginnings of bristles, but none
have the elaborate bristles I have seen in older specimens.

  I hope this isn't considered off topic, but since they eat algae,
which discussed extensively, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Jason Miller
Sherwood Park, AB
(780) 464-9635