Re: changing established tank to plant tank? CHEAP LIGHT READ!

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Bev wrote:

> Also My 8 week old 250 litre tank 48x18x18 is incredible, no algae
> beautiful plant growth everyhting is wonderful, thanks for the help. What I
> am bringing this up about is regarding lighting. High quality EXPENSIVE
> fluro tubes (triton etc) give a nivce balanced spectrum, why not combine a
> grow lux (red+blue) with a cool white (yellow+green) and recieve full
> spectrum lighting at 1/5 the price? Is this a bad idea?

This has been a classic arrangement for some in the past (our local public
aquarium does this on their display tanks!); however, at least here in the
states a Gro-lux tube costs $15, cool white $1 or so, vs. two Chroma-50's
which cost $5-6 each and provide fairly good full spectrum emulation.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com