nitrate test kit results

I need some clarification on my test kit results.  I'm using the Lamotte
nitrate kit model sl-ncr.  It indicates "Nitrate N PPM" in increments on
0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0 ......  Now in the instructions it states "Record as
ppm Nitrate Nitrogen (NO3-N). To convert to nitrate (NO3), multiply results
by 4.4 Record as ppm Nitrate."

My question is which of these should I use to measure the level of nitrates
in my tank?  Am I reading straight off of the slide viewer or am I
multiplying the amount by 4.4?

Sorry if this has been covered already but I was unable to find a
definiteve answer to this question.  And thank you all for all the info and
help I love this list!

Jim Wilson