Re: Kitty litter

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Steve Pushak wrote:

> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 05:25:22 -0800
> From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
> Subject: Re: Kitty Litter
>
> James and Michael were discussing the merit of CEC in kitty litter (KL).
>
> In my never ending question for information about all things substrate,
> I tried to find out what kind of clay KL was made of. Not much luck
> except that they use lots of different kinds of things.

I read last night in "Industrial Rocks and Minerals" by Lefond (sp?) that
kitty litter and other sorbing clay products are made mostly from
attapulgite.  Attapulgite is a relatively rare clay mineral, but it's
extensively mined for use in salt-resistant drilling muds and for sorbing
products.  I don't have an analysis on hand, or know anything about it's
CEC.  The same reference may have that information.

Roger Miller