Flourite

>Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 03:34:40 -0800
>From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>Subject: Substrate depths
>From: Steve Pushak wrote:
>Subject: Re: Flourite

>I'd speculate that it is an iron rich clay mixed with a few secret trace
>minerals (possibly manganese, copper, zinc, boron and molybdenum) and
>probably a smattering of macro minerals (calcium, magnesium, potassium,
>perhaps a little nitrate and perhaps even a phosphate or two), that is
>mixed together and then extruded into little pellet like things, fired
>and then crushed, cleaned and bagged.

Being a new Flourite user I speculate that it does not have calcium or
magnesium and certainly not nitrate or phosphate. (Am I right or wrong, Greg?)

>Firing a clay and making it into granules has the advantage that the
>clay is no longer clay after that, it has become rocks and therefore
>won't cloud the aquarium water.

It is definately not "rocks". It does cloud water when you move plants...
briefly which causes no problems.

 The disadvantage of that is that it
>looses a lot of its surface area in the process.

Huh? I don't understand this remark, Steve. Lots of little tiny pieces with
many sides have more surface area.... don't they???

 OTOH, you could safely
>impregnate it with a lot more minerals without fear that they would
>diffuse out too rapidly.

But you have no idea what "minerals" are in it now and who said anything
about anything diffusing out too rapidly?

I report that I like Flourite very much. It looks great. My swords
(various), crypts (3 kinds) and fast growers are doing very well. I pulled
up a large CT (already too big inside a month) and it's roots were
amazing... certainly better developed on this plant than I have observed
before. I love it that the whole substrate is Flourite. I like the Terralit
but one is always concerned about pulling it to the surface. With the
Flourite none of that worry is present.

Olga
in Vancouver