Re: Flourite

Greg Morin <greg at seachem_com> wrote:
> All I can say is, the material has experienced high levels of heat.
> It is naturally mined. And the order actually would be crushed,
> cleaned, and bagged ;-)
>
> Hope that helps, but I can't really say much more without giving away
> a little bit of the "secret".

I think we can assume that fluorite has no lawyers (composted or
otherwise), no cats (littered or laterized), and nothing of a labile
nature. ;-)

I'd speculate that it is an iron rich clay mixed with a few secret trace
minerals (possibly manganese, copper, zinc, boron and molybdenum) and
probably a smattering of macro minerals (calcium, magnesium, potassium,
perhaps a little nitrate and perhaps even a phosphate or two), that is
mixed together and then extruded into little pellet like things, fired
and then crushed, cleaned and bagged.

Firing a clay and making it into granules has the advantage that the
clay is no longer clay after that, it has become rocks and therefore
won't cloud the aquarium water. The disadvantage of that is that it
looses a lot of its surface area in the process. OTOH, you could safely
impregnate it with a lot more minerals without fear that they would
diffuse out too rapidly.

Greg, you didn't say of laterite has anything organic in it?

Steve P in Vancouver