DIY CO2 via old Skilter?

Hi,
I've been lurking here for a while, getting ready to set up a
former-reef tank as a plant intensive/quiet fish tank.

My filter options (other than buying something new) are a bio-ball
trickle filter, a Magnum 350, and a Skilter 250.  The tank is a 40
gallon breeder tank (36x18x16" high).

I want to try the yeast/CO2 generator idea, and wonder if it would be
reasonable to run the CO2 via an airstone placed into the fractionation
chamber of the Skilter.  I had already modified it to be used that way
with an air pump instead of the standard "venturi"; much quieter.

My reasons for prefering to try the Skilter are that I dislike the noise
of the trickle filter ("slurp,slurp" as the water goes down the drain)
and the @#%@#!% that I'm compelled to utter as I try to get all the O
rings and such set in the stupid Magnum.

Any input appreciated;  TIA.

Hallie Ray, King George, VA