Re: Substrate depths

Michael D Nielsen  wrote:
> After reading some posts about root bound, older setups, and daydreaming
> in class today I was wondering something.
>
> Will a deeper substrate help slow down/negate the tendency for very dense
> root mats?  In nature the substrate is very deep and plants seem to do
> fine for millions of years with no one uprooting them.  Would a substrate
> thicker than about 4 inches help at all?  Somewhere in the 6-8 inch range
> perhaps?

During my recent move to the new house, I had to remove all my plants.
As you know, I use dirt in the substrate along with clay fertilizer
balls. The root mass of the plants was quite small except for Crypts
which had long rhizomes but small roots.

This is because plants which are growth in infertile conditions have a
larger root to shoot ratio. Plants grown in more fertile conditions do
not invest as much growth energy into producing a large root system.

Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/