Any tips for KNO3 fertilization?

I do periodic (three times a week, actually) testing of nitrates in my 75
gallon tank.  I'm using LaMotte and always seem to get a color lighter than
the .25ppm (the lowest indicator).  I've got some KNO3 when I tried PMDD.
Anyone got some tips I can use when dosing this stuff?  Like how much to
start off with?  Of course I'll test more often.  I've already got another
bout of algae which seems to be going down, so I don't want to aggrevate the
situation.  Phosphates are also very low to non-readable.

Gracias!

Kelly Beard