Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #838

Almost forgot...

>In a message dated 2/9/99 6:34:54 AM Mountain Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
>Owner at actwin_com writes:
>
>>  Now, Neil and Karen seem to be of the opinion that if substrate heat is
>>  useful at all it is only useful in the long term (+ 1 year), while George
>>  B. seems to feel that they are necessary for a true "Dupla style tank".

[I know James didn't use that wording to be malicious but I would like to
correct a potentially wrong impression before it becomes net.lore]

I forgot to mention that I was rather displeased that someone thought I was
that small-minded. At least, that's how I read that sentence. It sounds
like I would insist on having all Dupla equipment and I would mindlessly
follow their instructions to the letter just to have a true Dupla tank.

I couldn't care less what the definition of a "true Dupla style tank" is
and I was one of the first to look for alternatives to the high priced
equipment. As a matter of fact, I am on Dupla's sh*t list because I stated
their CO2 systems were overpriced in an early TAG article (part 6 or 7 of
the SST series). I almost had an article published in Todays Aquarium ("A
North American Plant Tank") but it was pulled just before publication when
the TAG article came out. So it's not like I'm best buddies with them.

I believe the Dupla method works well and I use their heating cables
because they are the highest quality product I've seen. I would hesitate to
use less-than-the-best of something that is buried in the substrate and
would require a complete tank tear-down to fix or replace if it failed. I
use their fertilizer because it has worked extremely well for us for the
past 12 years and I have no reason to change. I happened to buy a complete
heating coil system when Pet Warehouse dropped much of their line in 1991
and the equipment was 30% of list price.

So don't think I maintain a strong pro-Dupla attitude because I'm one of
their lackeys and get stuff for free. I agree with their techniques and
it's easier to call it "Dupla-style" than some goofy made-up acronym.

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/