Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #837

>In a message dated 2/9/99 6:34:54 AM Mountain Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
>Owner at actwin_com writes:
>
>>  Now, Neil and Karen seem to be of the opinion that if substrate heat is
>>  useful at all it is only useful in the long term (+ 1 year), while George
>>  B. seems to feel that they are necessary for a true "Dupla style tank".

No, George B. thinks that the benefits of substrate heat are only
observable in the long term as greater tank stability. Karen and Neil, I
believe, think substrate heat is only useful for increasing the rate of
chemical and biological processes in the substrate, thus providing better
growth.

I have NOT observed better growth when comparing similar tank set ups with
and without coils (both having laterite in the substrate).  Both grew
plants equally well. I DID observe that the tank without coils developed
problems (more algae, slower growth, certain plants didn't do as well)
after 12-18 months.

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/