Re: Ferric Chloride for Phosphate Control?

>Could somone elaborate on this?
>What chemical reaction is responsible for this?
Yes, I do.

FeCl3 + 3.H2O  -> Fe(OH)3 + 3.HCl
FeCl3 + Na3PO4 -> FePO4 + 3.NaCl

>What are the drawbacks of using this? (Other than ph)
Chloride acid is very strong, and it reacts immediately with carbonates
producing CO2.

2HCl + Ca(HCO3)2 -> CaCl2 + H2O + 2CO2

so you need enough high value of KH to use it in your tank!

>If it can be used as part of a phosphate-reducing regimen, then I would need
>to know
>dosing levels.
No, I don't think so. You can remove phosphates this way occasionally, but
it cannot be a regimen. You will dangerously raise up the level of Chlorids
(Cl- ions) in your tanks. At low level they can be beneficial for plants
abut at very high levels .. I don't know and anyway I think the cause for
very high phosphates should be found out somewhere else. You should try to
remove that cause instead of removing the phosphates themselves.

Ciao!:)
Luca