[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Pull that stump!

Dave G wrote:

>At 03:48 AM 2/2/99 -0500, Bob/Georgia asked:
>>Subject: where to buy KNO3??
>Go to your local garden supply or landscaping supply center and ask for
>stump remover.  Be sure to verify that it is Potassium nitrate and not some
>other substance.

I'll second that.  I picked up a package of "stump remover" quickly at Home
Depot recently.  It was a brand I didn't recognize, but I was in a hurry,
and not wearing my glasses, so I couldn't read the fine print.  When I got
home and looked at the label more carefully, I couldn't find any reference
to potassium nitrate on the label.  I was a little concerned, so I put a
small amount in a glass of water and tested it for nitrate.  I don't know
what _is_ in it, but there wasn't any nitrate!  That can is now residing in
the garage waiting for the next time we actually need something to burn a
stump with.<g>  

I believe that Green Thumb and Cookes are 2 brands that _are_ potassium
nitrate.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the one that wasn't,
and it's pouring, so I'm not going out to the garage to check!<g>

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association