Re: Pumping RO water out of a garbage can

Beard, Kelly Wrote:

> I have an RO system and I store the water in a garbage can until I'm ready

> to use it.  I'd like to come up with a system where I pump the water out of

> the can and right into the tank for water changes.  I was looking at some

> little pumps at the LFS today, but the guy told me that they can pump water

> only so far up (implying that the water would never make it out of the can).

> The garbage can is about 30-40 feet away from the tank.  If anyone is doing

> something like this, I'd like to hear your solutions and what to look for in

> a suitable pump.

Kelly, just go down to your local Home Depot and get one of those

portable pumps designed to pump down to 1/2 - 5/8". They come in various

Hp so look and see how much head they are designed to push. Mine which I

paid about $35.00 for some years back will push 3/4" to the 3rd floor.

More than enough to get from the basement where the H2O containers are

kept to the 1st floor and up to the tanks. I use Pythons and python

extensions. Make sure that the pump has a threaded faucet adapter or

connection.

You can use water hose as well but be sure it is drinking water safe. I

also am able to turn the pump on and off using an appliance 10X receiver

and transmitter you can get from Radio Shack for about $25.00
--
Ric Cooney, N3BRB
rcooney at bcpl_net