Re:Redness and Algae Bloom

"I was wondering if anyone knows how to bring out the red colors in
plants.  I have some ludwigia in my tank that was originally completely
red when I got it.  It then turned green with red highlights in my
community tank and in my new discus tank it eventually turned green. I
think that it started changing in the discus tank, when I got a new
heater for the tank and raised the temp from 75 to 85. Is this red
pigment dependent on temperature?  Or is there  something else at work."

Ludwigia needs bright lights to stay red.  I don't think it will die off,
though.  It will stay green.  You didn't mention how bright you lighting is.

"A seperate issue is pertaining to algae blooms. I recently had a problem
with proper ph causing the biggest algae bloom I have ever seen. A whole
weekend of work and a pound of diatom pouder wasn't enough to allow me to
even see into the tank.  I spoke with a person over at aquarium
pharmaceudicals about it, and he sent me some phos-zorb and a phosphate
test kit.  After using the 2 packets for  3 days almost all the algae was
gone. I got the phos-zorb on friday and by sunday I could see into the
tank. To day only a very slight haze is present.  If you have an algae
bloom use phospate reisins,  they are great.  Only problem is that it
absorbed almost all the phosphate, so I had to supplement with a little
proper ph."

I find it completely ironic and just plain nuts that this happened.  You
used an Aquarium Pharms product (Proper pH, which no one should use), had a
problem with it, so they sent (sold?) you something else to remove it?
Don't use Proper pH, it is a phosphate-based buffer, so no wonder you had
algae problems.  When you used the Phos-zorb, it basically ate-up the Proper
pH, so you're just throwing money away at Aquarium Pharms twice.  It's like
when gangster collect "protection" money.

You don't mention your water parameters so I don't know what you're trying
to fix.  Is you water too hard?  Too soft?  pH too high or low? If you've
got a planted tank, you don't need Proper pH (if you're using CO2).

Kelly Beard, Cat IV, Team Allanti
President, Allanti Cycling Club - http://www.allanti.com
IBM Global Services

The following will apply to any Year 2000 statements included in this
e-mail:  This is a Year 2000 Readiness Disclosure and Year 2000 Statement
under the Year 2000 Information and Readiness Disclosure Act.  Any
statements made in this document regarding non-IBM products are
republications; such statements are based on information provided by the
applicable third party and have not been independently verified by IBM.