Re: Vita Lights vs. Chroma 50

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Richard J. Sexton wrote:

> Know the difference between a Vita Lite and a Chroma 50 ?
>
> About $15.
>
> The difference is so small it's unmeasurable. At least that's
> what I've been told. I'd love to hear you're actually getting
> something for all that extra money, but it sounds like a dimished
> return to me.

It may be a diminished return, but there are serious differences in the
actual spectrum of the tube.  I've looked at both through a diffraction
grating (Thanks Wright!).  The Chroma-50 is essentially a tri-chromatic
tube with not a lot of power in between the spikes.  The vita-lite has
some trick for "smearing" more of the color in between the peaks, which is
why it has such as high CRI.

Personally, I use the cheaper tubes now, because I can't see the point of
spending an extra $10 US ($15 CDN) either.  Just saying there *is* a
difference in the actual tube.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson