GE Chroma vs Super Daylight

At 11:21 AM 1/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:56:21 EST
>From: SnoTabby at aol_com
>Subject: Re: GE Chroma vs Super Daylight
>
>I've used both bulbs in combination and alone. The Chroma 50's give me more
>compact growth compared to their "Super Daylights".
>
>I haven't yet figured out why, because the "Super Daylights" put out more
>lumens and a whiter light. Could the less compact growth of stem plants be due
>to the difference in spectrum? I was under the impression from reading this
>list, and other information, that spectrum isn't as important as the total
>output of lumens.

Not really.

If you ever say a graph of the output spectra of the two tubes you'd
know why. The C50 is more or less flat across the whole visible
spectra - similar to sunlight. The other one has a more or less
gaussian distribution around green. It has more red and blue than
most tubes (red is real hard - expensive to "make") but it's still
nowhere near the C50's.

--
Richard J. Sexton                                         richard at aquaria_net
Maitland House, Bannockburn, Ontario, Canada, K0K 1Y0       +1 (613) 473 1719