Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #788

>Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:06:01 -0800
>From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>Subject: An abrupt about-face?

>In fact, IMHO, about the best fertilizer you can use for aquatic plants
>is to take ordinary house plant fertilizer (14-14-14) containing trace
>nutrients and mix it in a ratio of about 200 mg with a clay ball about 1
>cm in diameter and add this to the substrate near the roots of your
>plants. This supplies trace nutrients including iron and macro nutrients
>including phosphorus, nitrogen and potassium. This approach can be used
>with ordinary aquarium gravel alone; no need of using laterite, clay,
>vermiculite, soil or kitty litter!!

So this means that the highly touted HTBASS regimen is yesterday's news?
The carefully constructed layers of soil, peat and other fertilities are
not needed? Simply use plain gravel with a few of Steve's Clay Balls stuck
in it? Well, this certainly makes things more simple.

>PS I haven't mentioned Ca, Mg and K nutrients but these need to be
>present in the water.

Yes, of course, almost forgot. Details, details.

James Purchase wrote:
> What I _should_ have said (and thought I did, until I re-read the message
> this morning), is that NO commercial fertilizer aimed at aquarium plants
> contains all of the essential elements necessary for plant growth, not even
> Mastergrow.

Steve replied:
>I'm not so sure about that James! There are several pond fertilizers
>which contain macro nutrients.

Including Ca, Mg, S, C and other things like that? That's good to know. How
about a pointer to brand names?

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/